Which text editor should I use with Ruby on Rails?
Any text editor that supports Ruby syntax highlighting will do. This is available in most text editors aside from ones like Notepad. If you’ve already got a favorite text editor then chances are that it supports Ruby on Rails.
If you’re looking for something new or different, here is a list of the most popular Rails editors:
- Textmate – This free editor is popular with Mac users.
- Sublime Text – Similar to Textmate, this editor is available for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Atom – Similar to Sublime and produced by some Github folk, this editor is available for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Vim – When used along with rails.vim this is a powerful editor. However the learning curve is much steeper than most editors.
- Emacs – A popular vim alternative, Emacs has comprehensive Rails support
- E Text Editor – Another Textmate like editor, this one is popular amongst Windows users
If you prefer IDEs over text editors you should check out Which IDE should I use with Ruby on Rails?